Thursday, January 7, 2010

Loving Nora

Over the Christmas holidays I got reacquainted with my little granddaughter, Nora. Her full name is Eleanor Margaret Runnalls. Eleanor means "sun ray, shining light", (http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Eleanor) and she has certainly been a ray of sunlight into my life. She lives in Saskatchewan with her family, so entended time together is a rare and wonderful thing. On Christmas morning she came to the tree wearing her cute little red long johns, a Christmas gift last year from us to her brother, Nevin. He passed them down to her.
Nora is a determined little girl (15 months old) who wants to do everything her brother does. She loved using these markers with him. Fortunately they are washable, since most of the ink ended up on her hands! She has good balance and sometimes took steps without hanging onto anything - but so far she doesn't think she can walk alone. She chatters away in her own language, and gets louder and louder if she thinks no one is listening to her.

Every morning for ten days I got up and had breakfast with the grandchildren. Nora was usually done her own meal, but liked to sit on my lap and share my bran flakes. She was also interested in the comics. She likes all kinds of grown-up food and has a good appetite.

One day I made bread. The pictures of us are too funny - not only is our hair the same, we even dress like twins!! Unlike most babies, she loves shoes, another thing we have in common.
This smart, strong-minded little girl is being nurtured and shaped in the shelter of her family. God has a destiny for her that He is preparing even now. One day He will launch her into the world, like "an arrow in the hands of a warrior." Psalm 127:4 I am blessed by God to have her in my life.


4 comments:

  1. Right from a few weeks old I thought there were things I could learn from Nora. She is a determined little girl, and was even as a tiny baby. Mostly she is determined to express herself and spread that wide wide smile of hers around the world. Look out world, Nora's got her best shoes on and she's stepping out (okay... almost.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, check your settings. You can limit the number of posts per page so your florida ones don't show up here, just in your archives on the sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, I am going to respond this way and see if I am doing it right. I haven't seen a bigger smile on any grandmother! It is wonderful at this time in life to have time to reflect on what God is teaching us. Somehow, we seem to have more time as a grandmother than we had as a mother. That may not be true, but being a grandmother does seem to be more a more leisurely investment than being a mom. Thanks for sharing, Bonnie. Sharon

    ReplyDelete