My mother was 25 when she had me, the second of her five children. She was the family photographer in those early years so there are few pictures of her, but lots of her children, of whom she was very proud. She liked us to always look our best, and she took great pains in choosing our clothes. I remember sitting in front of her, watching the Lawrence Welk show on Saturday nights, while she put my straight hair into pin curls. Once she cut my bangs while standing behind me and looking in the mirror – not a successful technique!
When I was ten my parents fulfilled a life-long dream of tearing down their old farmhouse and erecting a new sprawling ranch style home. For the rest of her life that house was my mom’s pride and joy. She seemed to always have a decorating project on the go and it was not unusual to come in from school to find her painting the woodwork or the inside of a closet. I learned to hang wallpaper at an early age. She was an unimaginative cook but an excellent housekeeper. She loved to buy beautiful things for her home.She took an enormous interest in the education of all her children. Between grades 4 to 12 I won many speaking contests, partly because my mom wrote my speeches and she was an amazing communicator. She saw to it that we each took piano lessons for at least two years. She wasn’t a typical farm wife, never did barn chores or drove tractor. But she was resourceful and not afraid of hard work. One summer she grew several acres of cucumbers to make extra money for some family needs. She hired her kids as pickers.
Marriage and children opened a new aspect of my relationship with mom. I finally understood and appreciated the sacrifices she made for her family. When I had my first baby, mom came every day for the first three weeks. Her presence was so psychologically reassuring, I don’t know how I would have coped without her.
In 1979 I moved away from Ontario to Vancouver with my husband and baby girl. For the next 31 years my relationship with mom always involved a long distance phone call or an airplane ride. Whenever I came “home”, she had plans of things to do together. Usually there was a tea room, a restaurant, or a gift shop that she wanted to share with me. She was always interested in my life and would listen to all the details of what I was doing. We laughed often together.Like any relationship that lasts for years, mom and I disappointed and hurt each other over various things. She never held my mistakes against me and I forgave her hers.

My mother had a finely tuned sense of the “fitness of things” – things that should be done, said or worn to be appropriate. She never left the house wearing curlers. She sent thank you notes without fail. She was a good, caring neighbor. It seemed to me that when she met someone, she would strive to be memorable. She would look people right in the eye and say something a little out of the ordinary. My mom never cared to follow fashion, she wore what she liked. She was a little eccentric in her taste in clothes, shoes and hats. Pink was her favorite color for clothes, wallpaper, and roses. Many of these particular things about mom have rubbed off on me!
2002 - I'm 51 and Mom is 76
On January 23, 2010 mom suffered a mild stroke and was hospitalized. Her quality of life plummeted. After about ten weeks, her systems began shutting down and she passed away at the age of 83 on Easter Sunday, April 4th 2010, holding my father’s hand. They had been married 63 years and one day. Mom once told me that she tried to live her life to please Jesus. On Easter Sunday I think He took her hand and lifted her out of the hospital bed and led her into eternity with Him. There is a Day coming when all that has been marred by sin and death and disease will be restored-only better. I'll be looking for mom on that day!


This is a beautiful post Bonnie about your Mom. The photos are especially touching. I am saddened by your loss. Jesus took her home on resurrection Sunday. What a wonderful day to return home.
ReplyDeleteYour friend and sister,
Rosetta
Mom, you are a wonderful, amazing woman and I'm so glad we are on a lifelong journey together.
ReplyDeleteBonnie, how nice to hear a little about your mom. I too have experienced the sadness of "the long goodbye". Perhaps it makes the memories of earlier days more sweet - and indeed it makes the hope of the future more exciting. I grieve with you in your loss and at the same time enjoy, with you the memories.
ReplyDeleteBecause I care,
Gael
This is amazing - I guess you come by being a great communicator naturally - thanks for these memories.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Laurie
what a beautiful description of your mom and your last good bye moment brought me to tears. i really appreciate you sharing these things here for us.
ReplyDeleteBonnie, what a very special presentation of a very special relationship. I know your heart is sad now that the long-good-bye is over, but allow yourself to mourn and grieve this loss. Reflecting on our relationship with our mothers helps us to understand how we see ourselves as mothers. In a very special way, we gain an understanding of the threads that weave the generations of our family together. I am honored by the privilege of having a deeper understanding of who my very special friend, Bonnie Nikkel, is. God's peace and comfort
ReplyDeleteto you.
Sharon
What a great legacy and tribute to the relationship you had with your Mom! Thank you for sharing your Mom with us through your posting!! May the peace & comfort of the Holy Spirit hover over you as you process your loss and ponder the rich legacy given to you.
ReplyDeleteLove you, Grace
Thank you for sharing this...I hope and pray that it will help blast me out of my apathy and lack of appreciation for my own mom.
ReplyDeleteI look and keep looking up to you because your life inspires and spurs me on to be more like Jesus.
Olga