Saturday, April 11, 2009

Books, Books, Books!

When I was packing for this trip, I realized that I just couldn't bring books in the luggage - way too heavy! Fortunately, we soon discovered this amazing book store: Haslim's. Today we came here and browsed to our hearts content - we can both lose ourselves in a bookstore! This store is over 50 years old, and although it's huge, it feels like an old fashioned bookstore, with nooks and crannies all over the place. As I browsed the shelves, I made a list of some interesting new books, particularly biographies, that I want to track down in the public library back home. One is Always Looking Up by Michael J. Fox.

In the end, we paid less than $10 US and came home with six paperbacks ( all gently used) to sustain us for the coming weeks. Taking my fines into consideration, that's almost the same as the public library! Best prospect from the pile in todays bag? Gracie a biography of Gracie Allen, by her husband, George Burns.

I have been reading the O'Malley series by Dee Henderson, which I found in the D&D library. Dee Henderson is an exceptionally good Christian writer. This series is about seven siblings who are not really related by blood, but found each other when they were all in an orphanage together growing up. They bonded together to create a family. Each book in the series chronicles the lives of this family and how each one grapples with accepting Christ. Henderson makes a better than average attempt at talking in a natural way about the gospel, without making it feel like you're reading a tract in the middle of the plot. Her characters are complex and the plots have layers, and the spiritual struggles of this family seem authentic.

Other books I've enjoyed these weeks: (these are all secular books)
The Shell Seekers by Rosamund Pilcher
The Coalwood Way by Homer Hickam ( this author also wrote Rocket Boys which was made into a movie, October Sky staring Jake Gyllenthall in his early career. )
The Loop by Nicholas Evans, who also wrote The Horse Whisperer.

I haven't come across any book yet that's awesome - but I'll blog about it if I do!

2 comments:

  1. what a gem this bookstore is! Can you imagine such a place in south common?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading those books by Dee Henderson when we first bought this house and were renovating--I was pregnant with Elise, exhausted every night from all the painting, and yet would read late into the night! Yes, I also found she did a very good job bringing the gospel into her stories. So glad you're enjoying them!!

    ReplyDelete