Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Glad to be Scottish!

I grew up in a Scottish community in South Western Ontario, with the maiden name of MacDonald. I was so ethno-centric that I was an adult before I realized that everyone else didn't secretly wish in their heart that they were Scottish!! Periodically I have the great good fortune to celebrate those roots - which happened this past Saturday. We went to Dunedin to the Highland Games. We have been to Games in many places, in Alberta, BC and Scotland, and these were among the biggest and best organized that we have seen. We were surprised to learn that Dunedin is a sister city to Summerside,PEI as well as Sterling, Scotland The part that we enjoyed the best was the pipe band competition. Not all bands competed, but those that did would march, piping into the staging area, where they would form a circle with their drummers in the center. They played a medley of three or four pipe tunes without stopping, changing tempo often. Three or four judges would walk around the band marking them. When the band was done they would reform to the beat of the snare drum, and march out of the staging area. We heard and saw some amazing piping and drumming. There is a short video at the end giving you just a taste.

The Opening ceremonies had elements that I had never seen before. All the bands marched in individually, instead of as a Mass Band, each one taking their turn at center stage. Interspersed with their entrance were groups of people representing their Clan. (See above) By the end, more than 100 people stood on the field, with Clan banners, crests and tartans. Lovely. Three national anthems were sung - God Save the Queen, O Canada and The Star Spangled Banner. A Presbyterian minister gave a prayer. The military "colors" (flags) were presented. A list was read of some Clan members who had died since the last Games, followed by a piper playing a lament. (Actually, the lament was announced but never played - what happened to that piper?) The event was off to a great start!

There was a full slate of Scottish athletics. When the Scots get athletic they don't run. They heave or throw odd items like an actual rock, a "hammer", even a pole called a caber. The men in this picture are getting ready to try throwing the caber, turning it end over end - at least that's the idea! The field was full of husky men with Celtic style tattooes wearing kilts and broad belts. With all that athletic activity going on there was a lot of skirt twirling, and we can confidently answer the question,"what does the Scotsman wear under his kilt?" Black biking pants!


We also really enjoyed watching a demonstration of border collies rounding up sheep, lead by the shepherd doing various whistles or calls. Fascinating!! There was a big stage where girls in kilts and soft shoes danced the Highland Fling and the Sword Dance. By the end of the afternoon, I felt really renewed.
P.S. Some of my postings I've done in draft and then posted, not necessarily in the same order. I didn't realize the result of this. So a new posting called "the Self-Portrait Feature" has landed after the Sawgrass Park post - and I don't know how to move it - so please don't miss it. Now turn on your speakers and enjoy the music in this video!

4 comments:

  1. Wow - this sounds like an amazing time - there seems to be more stuff going on than what we saw at the Dutton Highland Games, although we were so young, probably things were going on and just didn't understand or appreciate them. How do you get these video clips on your blog? Is that part of your camera - you're leaving me in the dust on this technology!

    Talk soon.
    Love,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurie I do have a video feature on my camera which is really easy to use. When I upload my photos from camera to computer, any videos taken go too. When writing a blog post, I can select an icon to upload a video, the same as a photo. The program does the rest. Slick eh? One of the reasons I wanted to do a blog was to force myself to grapple with new technology.
    The Dutton Highland Games were actually really big - they always had many bands from all over. Your band was never inthe competition so I think that's why we never paid any attention to that part. But I know there were usually athletics, even a Tug-o-war one year. But like you said, we were young and mostly concentrated on the midway whenever your band wasn't playing. I do have memories of highland dancers too. It seems to me that it was often incredibly hot. Remember working at the town hall to serve supper along with the other church ladies? Wow, that's a flash back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm just catching up! It's wonderful to see you beautiful faces! I'm getting excited about our trip to Scotland - and these pictures got my imagination going. We leave May 10th. Charlotte and I were together this morning. It just isn't complete without you. But still look forward to our times together. You're looking so rested and peaceful! Blessings on your remaining time...I think you come home fairly soon......Bet you're missing those grand babies!!!!!!! Love ya! jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jeannie - so glad to hear your "voice." I thought of you often when I knew you were in mexico. We will have lots of stories to share when we see each other again! Blessings, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete